- 2 tbsp organic, unrefined coconut oil or ghee
- One acorn (or other) squash skinned and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Large piece of ginger root, 3–4 inches, grated
- Organic bone broth, chicken broth, or vegetable broth, 1– 2 cups
- Sea salt, Himalayan pink salt or one of NourishMe’s favorites Real Salt from the Great Salt Lake.
- Minced parsley or similar as garnish
- Sauté carrots, onion, celery, and garlic in coconut oil, or butter. We like the taste of both.
- Add squash and ginger.
- Cover with water.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Purée and adjust broth amounts to desired creaminess.
- Add sea salt, and simmer at least 10 minutes more.
- Serve garnish with parsley or chives or cilantro chopped arugula.
Benefits in a nutshell
Salt is a essential mineral for those of with low adrenal function. Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties as well as promoting good digestion. Garlic is powerful antifungal, excellent for warding off parasites, yeast, and pathogenic bacteria.
Making your own broths from local meat bones or chicken adds vital minerals, fat, and protein that are easily absorbed through the intestinal lining giving our digestive organs a much-needed break to perform other important rejuvenating functions.