Time: 4 1/2 hours
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 7 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp kosher salt, more as needed
- 1 tbsp crushed red chili flakes
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper or hot paprika
- 5 lbs brisket, preferably second cut, trimmed
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- I large onion, chopped
- 12 ounces, or 1 bag of cranberries
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 2 tsp pomegranate molasses, optional
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Heat oven to 450.
In small bowl combine the garlic, 1 tbsp brown sugar, rosemary, black pepper, 1 tbsp salt, chili flakes and Aleppo pepper.
Place the brisket, fat side up, in a large Dutch oven.
Rub meat all over with the spice mixture.
Marinade at room temperature for 1 hour.
Transfer pot to oven and roast, uncovered, 20 minutes.
While meat cooks, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add onion and cook until softened, 7 to 10 minutes.
Stir in the cranberries and remaining 6 tbsp sugar.
Simmer, uncovered, until cranberries begin to break down, about five minutes.
Stir in the wine, cider and pomegranate molasses.
Season with salt.
Reduce oven to 325.
Pour cranberry mixture over the brisket.
Cover and cook until meat is very tender, 3 - 3.5 hours; turn every hour.
Sliced meat and serve plenty of sauce and parsley for garnish.